Orange & Spice Doughnuts
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons shortening, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Blend in orange rind, juice and pumpkin.
Sift together dry ingredients. Gradually add to pumpkin mixture, stirring until blended. cover and chill 2 hours.
Roll 1/3 of dough at a time to about 1/3 inch thickness on floured pastry cloth. Cut with floured doughnut cutter. Let stand 15 minutes.
Fry in deep hot fat, 375 degrees, until nicely browned on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Roll in sugar or frost as desired.